Slow Down and Observe the Signs

This morning, I found an old journal entry from exactly four years ago entitled "Slow Down and Observe the Signs." Evidently, I didn't take this to heart as the time has flown by and I think my life's pace increased instead of the reverse. A lot has changed in the past few months. I have finally slowed down (more so in the past three to six weeks), largely due to a surge in my energy from getting more sleep using my new contraption (a mandibular mouth piece, which kind of looks like a clear plastic teeth-whitening device that is hinged, keeping my jaw jutted out slightly so I can breathe at night). Evidently, I've not been going into "beta sleep" for the past seven years due to a condition known as "sleep apnea." Thankfully, this has changed. My metabolism has been jolted, and without changing my diet or exercise patterns, I have been losing weight, slowly but surely (of course, now I am supplementing this change by taking better care of my health). I am now dreaming again, which has opened up my ability to deal with hidden emotions and is now allowing me to "slow down and observe the signs." While I write all day with my career responsibilities, I had refrained since 2001. What a poor excuse, but it felt valid at the time. I just didn't have the energy to deal with everything. I am like the bunny with the "bad" batteries in the Energizer commercials: you know, the one that doesn't keep "going and going and going" -- rather, I am the one whose batteries died while the good bunny continued to beat his little drum. This fact is surprising to many people who know me professionally as I worked extremely fast and efficient during the day, when they saw or worked with me. But, by nightfall, I would be exhausted to the point that, while it used to be 10 PM when I would crash, there were evenings over the past few years where I couldn't move past 7:30 PM. In reflection, I know that my physical condition was compounded by the overwhelming stress of starting and maintaining a new business, which made me intentionally stifle any other changes that I could in my life. I am a master at keeping my deepest emotions stuffed inside. This will change.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

45 and Looking Back

One Good Deed Deserves Another

Dating in Today's Online Crazy World